To begin your Alaskan adventure, you can book your flight into Anchorage (ANC - Ted Stevens International Airport). Redoubt Mtn. Lodge contracts services with professional air taxi companies for transportation to/from the lodge. Enjoy a scenic 70-minute flight from Anchorage.
Flights to the lodge depart at 7:30 AM from Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage unless otherwise scheduled. Return flights depart the lodge between 9 AM – 10 AM. When booking your return flight home, allow 3-5 hours for possible weather delays. The Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage has freezer space available if your flight departs later that day or the next.
Please limit your luggage to 40 pounds per person, due to floatplane weight restrictions. Extra charges may be incurred at floatplane office for extra baggage. Complimentary storage space is available at floatplane office for additional luggage you will not need while at RML. Leaving the lodge with fish does not count towards your personal luggage weight. If you choose to take fish home, insulated fish boxes are available at no additional cost.
Alaska weather is unpredictable at best! Please use the following as a guide to packing the appropriate items for your adventure. For guests visiting mid June – early September, temperatures will range from 45 F & rainy – 75 F & sunny. For guests visiting September 10th or later, plan for temperatures between 30 F – 60 F.
Here is what we recommend you bring along on your Alaskan vacation:
• Quality rain gear: “Packable” style jacket/pant set. REI, Helly Hansen & Columbia
have great options. We do not recommend packing disposable ponchos for rain gear.
• Thermal underwear/layering; technical fabrics that you can layer are always best:
(1) base layer set (1) Heavy fleece/thermal layer set
• Wool/warm socks: water temperature is 45 F making warm socks a must when wade fishing
• Hiking pants: lightweight comfortable pants; preferably quick dry
• Hat with visor
• Chapstick with SPF
• Bathing suit
• Toiletries: RML provides shampoo, conditioner, body soap, toilet paper, Q-tips & facial tissue
• Polarized sunglasses
• Lightweight gloves: nice to have when on the water in chilly temps
• Foot wear: If hiking, bring some shoes that can get wet & another pair of shoes for around the lodge (tennis shoes are fine).
• Suggested lodge wear: pants & long-sleeve shirt/sweatshirt
• Camera/film/charging device/memory storage
• 60-quart cooler (optional): RML provides insulated shipping boxes at no extra charge
• We will have everything you'll need for fishing (chest waders, rod/reel/tackle)
If you find yourself with 50lb+ worth of clothing, you have packed too much.
Redoubt Mountain Lodge offers a variety of merchandise (such as T-shirts, sweatshirts, vests & hats) for sale.
• Personal fishing gear**
For guests that choose to bring personal waders/hipboots, Redoubt Mountain Lodge requires personal gear to be properly cleaned & dried before arrival. This is strictly enforced to prevent the spread of invasive aquatic species to our pristine waters. Effective January 1st, 2012: Felt-soled wading products will be banned statewide.
Non-absorbent items: Soak for 5-minutes in either 5% solution of dish soap (1C) + water (1G) or 2% solution of bleach (1/2C) + water (1G).
Absorbent items (felt-soled waders): Soak item for 30 minutes in a 5% solution dish soap (1C) + hot water (113-degrees F, 1G). The water must remain hot during the entire soaking to be effective.
Allow items to completely dry and wait at least 48-hours before re-using.